Friday, January 11, 2008

A Tough Day

For some reason, yesterday was tough. Well, I know why it was ... it was because I got out of my routine, such as it is.

First of all, let me say this about breakfast. I have read every single diet book and piece of advice from the diet gurus and every one of them says the same thing: Don't skip breakfast--people who skip breakfast snack more later. And for those experts, I have to say, that just doesn't work for me.

If I eat breakfast, I'll nosh all day. For some reason, it just gets me on a roll, and then I eat all day. My worst time of the day is afternoon, around 4 or so. That's the point of my day when I would cheerfully eat a Michelin tire if someone put it in front of me, and if it could have chocolate dripped over it, even better.

So, if I eat breakfast, I'm going to eat in the afternoon and if I don't, I'm going to eat in the afternoon. Plus, if I eat breakfast, I want to go right back to bed. So, I've devised my plan around this, and yes, I know it's not supposed to be MY plan, it's supposed to be done the WW way, but give me a break. So, breakfast is usually coffee with non-fat creamer, then maybe a glass of Tropicana Light & Healthy later in the morning.

This holds me to somewhere between 12:30 and 2, when I can have lunch, then a reasonable dinner, with enough points left in the middle for yogurt or cottage cheese or a banana in the afternoon. Finally, a WW chocolate mousse bar or ice cream sandwich in the evening and I'm golden.

But get me out of my routine, and all bets are off.

I was meeting Whit yesterday and for some reason, in the getting ready, searching for a pattern Id lost, running around, it was 2 when I left and I hadn't had anything except my juice and coffee. Hungry, very hungry, about to make a bad decision.

Stopped at a McDonald's only to learn that it was a mini-McD's with no salads. Back on the highway, stop at a Wendy's. Baked potato with broccoli and cheese. Okay, not the best but better than the #1 with cheese and fries. 9 points instead of God-knows-how-many.

Then, meet Whit and she wants to go to dinner -- 4 pm! Okay, it was 4:30 by the time we got to Steak and Shake! What the hell? Is there anything to eat at a Steak and Shake? Well, it turns out there's an apple walnut salad with non-fat raspberry dressing. Okay, that will do.

Off to a gathering (knitting, followed by a book signing--whoops, let's not forget losing my wallet and retrieving it in the middle of all that--stress, anxiety aplenty).

Home at 10 pm, starving. Was I really starving or just crazed? Not sure. Result: a serving of chili--left off the cheese--and a banana.

I was right up against my points. Satisfied (by midnight) but feeling very out of sorts.

I need my routine.

And, no exercise.

No comments: