Monday, January 1, 2007

Resolutions, I've Had a Few ...

I'm really in the Frank Sinatra mode, here aren't I? He's probably spinning in his grave. Oh, well.

I hate New Year's resolutions. When I make them, I break them within days, sometimes even within hours. I make them because it's traditional to make them, and I break them because, well, because I'm me. I have almost no resolve (pun intended). And when I do make them, they're always the same: save money, lose weight, be a better person, lose weight, change everything about my life that makes me miserable, the usual.

So, that's out for this year. I'm over that. But I did think of a few things that might be do-able and that I might even enjoy:

(1) Make at least one knitted thing for charity per month, or 12 a year. (This is a holdover from last year, and, while I didn't keep track, I think I was pretty close or exceeded, what with helmet liners, CIC vests, CIC socks, preemie hats.)

(2) Find a way not to be totally pissed off when the Christmas season comes around. Every year it hits me as a complete surprise and I'm never prepared, financially or emotionally, and I always end up pissed off. This year, I'd like to do a few things all year to keep myself in the spirit--maybe plan for an all-knitting tree and maybe an all-old-Santa tree, maybe even try that outrageous Aran tree skirt I keep seeing on blogs.

(3) Try to be sane about my weight. Eat when I'm hungry, and try not to eat out of emotion or boredom. Try to cut out the fast food. Try to move a little. Cut myself some slack when I fail.

(4) Look for some other income sources. I'd still like to get into indexing but I'm not sure how to do it. Really take the time to explore that and some other options. EBay?

(5) Write.

(6) Develop the Mystery Traveler website. I've been paying for the domain name. Set it up and do it.

(7) Try to handle crap situations with dignity and grace. We've got a lot of finance/housing issues coming our way, and possibly some job issues. And maybe health issues--2006 was certainly an eye-opener for me of all the things that can happen, but happily haven't yet. Try not to be an ass when handling those situations. (Whining belongs in a blog because none of your family and friends want to hear it. The blog readers, if any, can always hit the escape key.

(8) Enjoy the moment.

No comments: